Total Pageviews

Monday, September 17, 2012

Our Experience Downsizing to a Motor Home







Timeline of House Sale:  On market February 13, 2012 ---- Signed Contract with Buyers February 21, 2012  ----- Closing on April 13, 2012.







Barb at the Family Motor Coach Association (FMCA) Booth and I were talking about downsizing.  Her house is on the market and she's had several garage sales.  She's offered items to her family, especially the furniture from her Grandmother.  No takers for the heirloom furniture and that makes Barb sad.  She wants to know it's being used by family members.

Everyone downsizes differently.  Some people have furniture and collectables that are very important to them.  Some of their belongings are actually worth money.  Our household items were worth something..... I happen to think they were worth very little.  The Bottom Line is we all have different priorities and different plans for how to downsize our homes.  

Being on the lazy side, I donated many household items and clothing to Goodwill and the Salvation Army over the years and added a Non Cash Charitable Deduction on my Federal Tax form to my annual tax return.  The time I spent in packing, transporting and keeping lists was for me, minimal, compared to running a garage sale.

For years Eric and I rid ourselves of unwanted household items by putting them at the end of our driveway with a Free Sign.  This worked for us all year round.  The basic rule was don't put things out in the rain or during a snow storm.

Example of winter time generosity.  On February 11, 2012, Eric and I put a dining room table, an air conditioner, bag of concrete mix and a milk crate at the end of the driveway.  It was a cold, clear day and I thought we'd have to drag everything in before dark.  As the day wore on, I checked the road side pick up point and our stuff was still there.  Around 2:15 pm a truck stopped in front of our driveway.  Two men in their 20s got out and walked around our freebies.  Suddenly they pounced on the table.  Up into the truck it went. I thought they would leave.  No.  They returned and scooped up the bag of concrete mix, milk crate and the air conditioner,  I jumped for joy!

I know about Craigslist Curb Side Alerts.  We didn't use that service.  As I've said before, we are lazy and I have a hard time believing that anyone would drive out into the country for an assortment of stuff of varied quality just because it's free.

For at least five years, we gave away household items at Eric's "Reverse Birthday Party" in September.  No one was allowed to bring a gift; everyone was expected to take things home.  We saved grocery bags and handed them to people as they arrived.  Everything on and under the six foot table was free for the taking.  Family and friends filled a bag or two, enjoyed the barbeque and selected a few more items as they prepared to leave.  We added this feature to our holiday parties starting in 2010.  Anything that was left was donated to the Salvation Army.  (Less transport for me, yeah!)  I did buy a few items for the youngest nephews and grand niece and nephews.  What kid wants coasters as the fun free gift?

I took my daughter, Diane, and her husband, Damon, around the house in 2011 and offered them first choice on art work and small household items I was still using.  Diane and Damon live in New Hampshire and I wanted to ensure they got a few items that were useful to them.

I took my son, Adam, around to look at household items and he didn't select any.  Living in a small one bedroom apartment, Adam wasn't able to take assimilate our household items.  That's OK.  He has pictures, letters and memorabilia my father picked up while in service in Panama and World War II.

Starting in January 2012 Eric started circulating an email to his sibs and nephews with a list of larger items and when they would be available.  Whenever anyone "claimed" an item, Eric would add the name and move the "claimed" item to the bottom of the list.  In March Eric's sibs started coming to the house and leaving with a work bench, area rugs, tables, chairs etc.  Twice Eric's brother, Mark, left with truckloads full of stuff.... His truck looked like Fred Sanford's truck... Full of household items destined for other homes.

Each week I made a stop at the Salvation Army with a back seat loaded with smaller household items and clothes.  It was easy to part with many winter sweaters, heavy scarves, hats and extra pairs of gloves.We had LOTS of winter gloves.

The last of the curbside items were available for pick up.  Eventually some things went to the trash. 

Eric's sister, Karen, and her husband, Russ, took our bed on Easter Sunday 2012.  We officially moved into our motor home. 

The last of what we thought was essential was packed into the motor home and we left our house for good.  At SKP Acre in April 2012 we had the motor home weighed.  We were under weight on all four corners..... Not totally balanced, but under weight.

We have no items in storage or with family members.  Eric and I continue to go through things in the motor home and give away or pitch things about once a month.  This provides balance because we've added things for the motor home and there should be a one item in one item out policy to keep the motor home from becoming over weight.

I look forward to having the motor home weighed next April at the next SCP Acre Rally. 


No comments: