Total Pageviews

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Things We Miss From Home

Eric and I were talking about home and what we miss about the Capital Region in Upstate New York.




I grew up in Colonie and I am missing  
The Farmer Boy Diner  at 1975 Central Avenue.  



When I was a little girl, The Farmer Boy Diner was a truck stop.  I remember the bottom of the building had a layer of shiny stainless steel.  My family ate there in January 1968 after we moved to 24 Grandy Street.  The stove was to be delivered the next day, so it was dinner out.  In the early to mid 1970s the old structure was removed and rebuilt.  A sign went up stating that trucks were not welcome.  (I assume the sign meant tractor trailers.)

Today's Farmer Boy is more spacious and besides serving great food, beer and wine are available.
This is the diner where I've brunched with my cousin, Barbara Kuban and where I became reacquainted with Rick Taylor, Barb's brother who lives in Maryland.  Yes, The Farmer Boy Diner is a very special place.

 

Eric is missing Josephine's Whole Grain Baking    
and her amazing baked goods.  




 Eric met Josephine at the Thursday Farmer's Market in Schenectady a few years ago and became a friend and loyal customer.  Best likes:  Cranberry Bread, Challah, Chocolate Zucchini Cupcakes and of course, cookies.  Thanks Josephine for the tasty treats!


 

Eric and I miss Art Nights in Schenectady.





 This event occurs the third Thursday of every month.  Eric and I liked walking around downtown Schenectady and exploring local artists' wares.  Often we would stop at a bar and listen to a band, have a drink and move on.  Dinner might be appetizers from a few of the following: Aperitivo Bistro, Van Dyck Lounge, Katie O'Byrnes Irish Pub & RestaurantThe Stockade Inn and The Backstage Pub & Grill.

No comments: