Total Pageviews

Sunday, December 17, 2017

My Woodworking Project @ Tropic Winds RV Resort in Harlingen, Texas

I joined the Woodworking Group at Tropic Winds RV Resort on a whim.  What kind of project should I make?  My inspiration came from memories of Eric's Cub Scout Den's woodworking projects.  I decided to make a two piece, self supporting Christmas Tree.





I printed off templates
from the internet &
make cardboard
copies that will be
easily traced.







With paper templates in hand, Eric and I set off for Home Depot.





I selected the
 straightest piece
of Pine in the
Lumber Aisle.





There's way more wood here than I need for one tree.  I'll make a tree for my grandson, Sean, too.  With enough There's still enough lumber for more Christmas Trees.  I'll make as many trees as possible and offer the ones I don't need to Tracy, the Activities Director, as Door Prizes for upcoming holiday events.





The traced Christmas Trees
remind me of setting out
a pattern for a sewing
project.

I will use the Miter Saw, set at
90 degrees to cut one set of
tree pieces at a time.














I find it easy to handle the small
 piece of wood as I use the Band
Saw to make the many cuts in
each piece of my Christmas Tree.
















I clamp a piece of
tree to a work bench
& use a heavy file
to sand the
interlocking slots.






The Christmas Tree in the foreground has been sanded and fits together to make a self supporting decoration.





I use sand paper to
 smooth each side of
the slot on each
Christmas Tree piece.

I do a lot of sanding to make the two pieces of Christmas Tree fit together.





I carefully apply
the spray paint...




















My first Christmas Tree.

Sean's Christmas Tree
is packed & ready to
be mailed.












It rained yesterday and today is cool and damp.  I am hoping for less humidity tomorrow so I can paint the remaining trees.

No comments: