Total Pageviews

Monday, December 9, 2013

Animals in Big Bend National Park

Eric and I saw signs about black bears, mountain lions and javelinas in Big Bend National Park.  With all the driving and hiking we did, we didn't see any of these larger animals.

Here's what we did see...






As we drive into Big Bend National
 Park, we see a deer in the road.

That's the grey blip you see
 towards the bottom of
 the mountain.










A large bird roosts on one
leg in tree at dusk.







I wasn't fast enough to get the picture of the skittering lizard that Eric saw on Old Ore Road.  We did see lots of large red ants, but I didn't think to get  a picture of them.








The yellow things at the side of
Black Gap Road are some
 type of butterfly.










Eric & his new friend, the
tarantula, on US Route 385
in the Park.







An up close shot of
Eric's buddy.








Three birds in a tree.







As we approach, two
fly off.






We are leaving Big Bend National Park and I'm a little sad that I haven't seen more animals here.  Park rules forbid leaving food out, as it attracts animals.  In Rio Grande Campground, Javelinas can do a lot of damage to unattended coolers and tents with food inside.  When we are driving the back roads, the crunch of gravel beneath our tires makes enough noise to frighten animals away.   Maybe I'm not alert enough when hiking to spot most animals.  I asked the park rangers about animal activity and was told that many are active at night.








Suddenly, in the road ahead
of us is a coyote.




Then, two more trot across
 the road.

They are intently watching
something to our right & charge
off into the scrub after it.





Seeing the coyotes on the prowl was awesome!  I don't know about Eric, but I've seen enough animals here to make me happy.

No comments: