Total Pageviews

Saturday, November 30, 2013

Looking for the Marfa Lights

The Marfa area is known for unidentified lights that appear on the southern horizon after dark..  This phenomenon does not occur every night.  We are at the View Park to see the lights, I hope.








The sky takes on a rosy
hue as the sun starts
to set.




























The sun is behind the
mountains.












Venus appears in
the sky.









The western sky
darkens.













Venus is the stand-out
in tonight's sky.




So, where are the Marfa lights?  I strain my eyes focusing on the southern horizon.  This is a challenge.  Cars pull in after dark and the headlights disrupt my night vision.  Cars and trucks driving by behind us also play havoc with my night vision.  Most of the cars and trucks that stopped to view the lights have left.  I continue to scan the southern horizon... Is that a light?  I don't know... a vehicle passed by on the highway behind me. It's a beautiful night.  I see the Milky Way and many hundred stars in the night sky.  After two hours of after dark viewing, Eric and I return to the motorhome. Maybe tonight is not the night to see the lights.

No comments: