Total Pageviews

Monday, January 5, 2015

Entering Fort Bragg Army Base Near Fayetteville, North Carolina






Eric and I drove east toward
Fayetteville to visit Fort Bragg,
home of the Army Airborne
& Special Forces.






According to a brochure we picked up, the public is allowed on base for tours and to visit museums. Eric's Great Uncle Al served with the 82nd Airborne during World War II, so the 82nd Airborne Museum will be our first stop.






The Fort Bragg sign suddenly
appeared on the side of the road.






I start to remember scenes from Lee Child's book The Enemy.  Jack Reacher tracks down a shadowy enemy who is a highly placed Special Forces Officer.  I recall Reacher's descriptions of enormous Army base, the miles of fence line and sandy terrain. 





This section of base fencing
is difficult to see.

It's constructed with rolls of 
barbed wire stacked two high.












All signs point to different
sections of the military base.







I started taking pictures as soon as I got out of the car, as is my habit.  A soldier came out of the Visitor Center to tell me that photos aren't allowed and instructed me to delete them.

Eric and I entered the Visitors Center, took a number, just like people do at the deli, and waited to get passes to go into Fort Bragg.  I asked about base tours and the staff at the Visitor Center weren't aware of organized tours.




Armed with our passes,
Eric drove through the
base gates to go to the
museums & take a tour,
if we can find some
information.




No comments: