Total Pageviews

Thursday, August 7, 2014

Finishing What We Started a Year Ago... Touring the Minnesota State Capitol in Saint Paul







The Capitol is undergoing a
three year restoration &
renovation project.






This is the first restoration and renovation project in the Capitol's 100 plus years of operation.










Carvings in the marble exterior
are wearing away....








Our tour guide, Julie, loves this building and shares its architecture and history with
our group.







This marble bench was hundreds
of years old when it was donated
to the Capitol in 1901.










Architect Cass Gilbert designed the
Minnesota State Capitol to inspire
elected representatives to do their
best work for Minnesotans.








Now to the back story....  Eric and I visited this Capitol on June 30, 2013.  I was rushing down the stairs in my flip flops.










I rolled my left ankle, fell
& landed here. 






As I lay on my back on the
floor with my broken ankle,
I admired the artwork
on the ceiling.
We're back... I'm wearing sneakers and walking down the stairs slowly, holding onto
the railing.


















The Senate Chamber was closed
to the public during our visit.





















Former governors portraits line
the walls.

Governor Jesse Ventura served
from 1998 to 2002.






Julie takes us to the dining hall
in the basement.













The Rathskeller is very popular
with legislators and staff.






German drinking phrases are painted on the walls.  During World War I they were painted over. The Rathskeller was restored in the 1930s, after Prohibition was repealed.  Temperance leaders lobbied to have the drinking phrases replaced....  "Better be tipsy than feverish." was changed to "Temperance is the virtue of men."









Several miles of tunnels connect 
the Capitol to other state 
agency buildings.
The Minnesota State Capitol is very beautiful.  The architecture and art inspire visitors.
I look forward to a third visit after 2017 to see the building fully restored.

No comments: