Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 5, 2020

A Midweek Hike Around Hidden Lake in Middle Smithfield, PA







Eric & I chose Hidden Lake
Trail because it doesn't
include a waterfall.






The Waterfall Trails are VERY popular and we know that weekend hikes on these trails are too crowded for us.






This Trailhead is almost
empty at 10:00 am.









Eric looks at the map of
the Recreation Area &
the inset for this Trail,
on the lower right.










We're sharing a set of Trekking Polls because our research shows the Trail is a bit hilly. 





Eric & I apply bug repellent
for our walk in the woods
around Hidden Lake.














Our first view of
the lake.





The Trail crosses an old
stone wall.





Indian Pipe is a plant. 

It is not in the
Mushroom Family.






Fungi grow on this decaying log.

I could be Coriolus hirsutus.










The Trail leads us to a 
boarded-up building.





I like this pic.




Eric on a narrow bridge
across a wet spot.



 
Eric & me at the
southern end of
Hidden Lake.









We find a Magnolia bloom

I wonder if there was a 
farmhouse nearby...






hovers in the tall grass.







We carefully cross exposed







Eric & I examine the Spider Web in the upper right.

We pass hikers and picnickers as we return to the Trailhead.  It's almost noon and the parking lot is nearly full.

No comments: