Total Pageviews

Friday, April 5, 2019

Northeast! To the Valley of Fires in Carrizozo, New Mexico

Today's drive is about 6 hours long, including a stop for fuel.





Eric & I again return to
Interstate 10 East at the
start of today's drive.




The THING? is at Exit 322.

We won't stop to find out
what it is.








I love taking pictures of
the Southwest landscape.





This rock formation reminds me
of The Flintstones cartoon &






Welcome to New Mexico.





A stop for Diesel Fuel at




This is going to take a while....

That's OK.  I need to wash
our windshield.







miles down the road.











Dust Storms May Exist
Next 15 Miles







Eric and I have a long drive and are grateful not to have to stop for a passing Dust Storm.







A train heading west. 







Eric & I drive past Deming.






We leave Interstate 10 at Exit 82 A




Eric & I watched saw these
Wind Turbines miles before
we got close enough for
me to take a picture.







Welcome to Hatch


Eric and I reminisced about our day in Hatch in December 2013.






Our next turn is onto
Interstate 25 North.





Today we will pass by Elephant























We are warned of the upcoming
steep incline.

The view is spectacular!










Cell Towers aren't seen or
commented on in congested
areas.

In desolate areas, a Cell Tower
is a welcome site. 







I get a shot of this structure
with my long lens.







Eric found information for me.  This structure commemorates the El Camino Real Trail blazed by Don Juan de Onate and 500 Spanish settlers in 1598.





At Exit 139 Eric & I leave
Interstate 25 East for
US Route 380 East.
 That black stuff is interesting....






Crossing Railroad Tracks
with gates




White Sands Missile Range
& Stallion Range Center
are down that road....

Trinity Site is nearby.









We pass a Rock Shop

The sign says that Trinitite
 is available there.











Eric & I arrive at Valley of Fires
Recreation Area.







With my America The Beautiful Senior Pass, we are paying half price to camp here.





Our campsite, with water & electric
service is $9.00 per night.

Eric pulled in for this
reason....









 We look out over the Carrizozo Malpais Lava Flow.

No comments: