Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 27, 2023

A Quick Visit to Hickam Field, in Honor of My Dad

Eric & I took an Uber to Hickam Field.

My dad, Stan Zapisek, was an Army Air Corps Weather Observer who served at Hickam from 1944 to 1945.

Here's the sign at the Main Gate.

Here are pictures of my Dad when he serves at Hickam Field...

Dad, on the left, with Leon Herbach at Hickam.

Two fellow Air Corpsmen with Dad, lower left,
& Ted Domanski. lower right, tour Honolulu.

Eric took this picture of me with the Hickam Field sign.

I grew up listening to my Dad's stories of his service in World War II.  Stan trained as a Weather Observer at Chanute Field in Illinois before being transferred to California and then to Hawaii.   He and Ted Domanski worked together at Hickam Field before being sent forward to Iwo Jima in 1945.  

After discharge Ted returned to Western New York and Stan returned to Albany, New York.  They reunited in the 1990s and enjoyed reminiscing on the phone.

I am happy and grateful to visit the Hickam Field Main Gate and this sign.  And, I feel closer to Dad.

No comments: