Total Pageviews

Sunday, November 16, 2014

A Walk Along Campbell Avenue in Schenectady, New York

Last week I went in search of inexpensive gas on Upper Broadway in Schenectady.  Having walked to Stewart's Shop on Fairview and Broadway, I might as well walk to Campbell Avenue and explore this section of the city.








Because I have to pay attention
to the condition of the 
sidewalks, I don't often walk
in the city for exercise.








Long stretches of sidewalk are smooth and crack free.  The short sections of worn sidewalk must be negotiated.










I love the color scheme
chosen for this house.













The double doors 
with sidelights 
are beautiful.










I like the diamond shaped
window on the side dormer.











Fairview Park is on the
point where Fairview &
Campbell Avenues meet.






This looks like some sort
of shelter.







This is my day to appreciate the sides of houses.







The roof line above the
side window is eye catching.












I like the side porch
on this house.











At Campbell Avenue &
Thirteenth Street, I see
a house that is being
rehabbed.






While chatting with Don, one of the men working on this project, I find out that this is a Sears, Roebuck house.  From 1908 to 1940 Sears, Roebuck & Company sold over 70,000 homes by mail order.   Sears, Roebuck houses were built across America.  Providing pre-cut and fitted housing materials cut the price of a home and saved on construction time.

Eventually, over there were over 400 house plans to choose from.  Some customers provided house plans to Sears, Roebuck and customized homes were produced to meet their needs.

This house will have updated window styles, more efficient heating and cooling systems as well as an updated kitchen and bath.  This will be an interesting project to follow.






I continue to watch my
step as I walk along
Campbell Avenue.






This is my favorite house
on Campbell Avenue.

It has an amazing porch
with beautiful columns.








The Hillhurst Park sign
sparks a memory.

Jerry brought Karen & Doreen
here to go swimming when they
were kids.





I'm going to explore the park...

No comments: