Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Hiking the Painted Desert Trail in Imperial Wildlife Refuge North of Arizona




Eric & I drove north on US 95 to the US Army Proving Ground.









Our ride west on North Martinez
Lake Road will be slowed
because of Road Construction.





Part of our drive is guided
by a Pilot Car (truck).







Eric turns onto Red Cloud Mine Road and follows it to...






Imperial National Wildlife
Refuge




We are here to hike the 

It's a 1.4 mile loop. 




The rise on the right looks
like a pile of Road
Construction debris.






The colors of the dirt &
rocks change in just a
few yards.





Horse Poop...

We share the trail with
Horseback Riders.







A shot of Eric & me.





Millions of years of erosion
creates outcrops.





The trail ahead...












The trail opens up & the
hills have gentle slopes.




This outcropping looks to
me like a person looking
up, hands held to the
chest.




I've changed my mind.

A busty alien looks for
her ride home.





I wonder what causes 
the greenish tinge on
the left.





It's slow going on this short
trail because I stop to take
LOTS of pictures.





Eric looks out at the
horizon from a high
point on the trail.





on today's hike.
A shot from another high point.





The trail dips....

I'm glad we have
our Trekking Poles.









The vista changes after a few hundred feet.





The white pole at the base of
the outcrop is a welcome
guide to keep us on the trail.







It would be easy to get lost out here.





Eric found my 
hiding spot.




Another dip in the trail &
stairs to help hikers
make the ascent.





Walking on loose gravel
is slow going.





Eric's hiding spot.




The terrain opens up again.

The Painted Desert is made 
up of tan, rust & different 
shades of brown 




Eric asked me to take a photo
of this bush because its
grey leaves remind him




Another name for this
trail could be 
The Photo Op Loop.





A previous hiker built a Cairn to
 help guide those who follow.



Eric took a shot of me
with one of the few
benches on the trail.





The grey stone doesn't fit
into the earth tone palate
of this area.





The loop brings Eric &
me back to the parking
area & our car.






Painted Desert Trail is mostly flat, as advertised.  Eric and I were glad we brought our Trekking Poles to "conquer" the dips and rises on this picturesque hike.

No comments: