Total Pageviews

Monday, March 26, 2018

Walking the Armadillo Trail in Gulf Shore State Campground

Gulf Shore State Campground has numerous hiking trails.  Today Eric and I explore the
Armadillo Trail.





The trail head is near
our campsite.




This well trod trail brings
us into a stand of 




I admire Beach Rosemary's
tiny lavender flowers.




An older Long Leaf Pine Tree
looms over the newer,
younger trees.






Many trees along Alabama's Gulf Coast were destroyed when Hurricane Ivan swept through 
in 2004.





This is the tiniest Pine Tree
I've ever seen.
















The trunk of this young
tree catches my eye...




The trunk & branches are
covered in a pattern of 
projections.















Eric hides from me
in the Pines.








A boardwalk takes us
above a swampy area.




These Pine Tree & the sandy
soil reminds me of the Pine



A tiny green Lizard skitters
along the hand railing of
a bridge.

I think its a Green Anole.









It crosses a small creek.









Bushes with white flowers
line the trail. 




The flowers are delicate.

I think this is False Rue







There's a Bottle Brush
Pine Tree ahead.















This "bean pole" of a tree
has growth spikes at its
top. 








Eric is surrounded....




Another bush with groups
of small flowers



















Eric & I enjoy the quiet.





A spur trail takes us to
Middle Lake Overlook.











We look south to the
condos on Route 182.










Eric & I finish our walk
in dappled sunshine.

No comments: