Total Pageviews

Friday, October 5, 2012

A Tour of Oregon's Capitol in Salem, OR

One of the things Eric and I decided to do if possible, is to visit state capitols. Today we headed north of Eugene to visit the Oregon State Capitol

Parking was easy near the Capitol.  Most people who visit the Capitol do self guided tours.  We were fortunate that Chuck was available.  He asked us if we had some time for a tour and I said, "Yes, we are retired and have lots of time."




The Oregon State Capitol was rebuilt
in Art Deco style and reopened
 in 1938 after a fire destroyed
the former Capitol in 1935.





The rotunda.  The big star in the
middle represents Oregon.  The
smaller stars number 31.
Oregon is the 31st state.




The Oregon State Symbol
 beneath the rotunda. 







 




The Oregon State Senate
There are 30 State Senators





I was allowed to call a
session of the Senate to order.




The desk in the Governor's
 Office.












Eric was allowed to sit in
the Governor's chair and....
sign a fake bill.










The Oregon Assembly Chamber
There are 60 State Assemblymen











  Eaton Hall at
Willamette University






 Rose Garden at
Willamette University






After lunch at Jonathan's Publik House, Eric and I headed back to Eugene, OR.

4 comments:

TenaceFamily said...

I loves these pictures of your visit to the Oregon State Capitol! I love reading all of your adventures! I showed Anthony and I'm sure he'll be able to use some of your information and pictures during his classroom lessons from time to time.

Ginny said...

Use the pics.... Make sure Anthony does the research for his school assignments. I will also be saving pics @ photo bucket.com. Give me free parking @ your house in November & Anthony will be the first to use pics from across the USA.

Dave'n'Kathy Vagabond Blog said...

Eric and Ginny, your photos of Oregon and Idaho are inspring! I was born in Idaho, lived there a couple years, and grew up in Oregon - Salem for 7 years. Your blog entries bring back memories. We'll be out that way around Labor Day 2013.

Ginny said...

Dave 'n Kathy;
Thanks for the comment on the pics. Eric & I take a lot more photos than I post on the blog.
As people who grew up in "the land of green," the western states are so different, awe inspiring.