Total Pageviews

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Those Damn Slide Outs!

Slide Outs are a wonderful innovation that have increased the inside space of motor homes and campers.  This marvelous innovation comes with a downside.... Collisions between humans and steel.  Eric spends more time puttering around outside near the motor home than I do and he's paid the price, repeatedly....  


Unfortunately, Eric has walked into the extended slides on our motor home, more than once.  Yesterday I was sitting in our Jeep, waiting to leave our campground in Ogden for Salt Lake City.  Eric opens the driver side door and swats at the right side of his pant leg.  It's covered with sand and some dried grass.  Hmmm..... Eric tells me that he walked into a slide on the driver's side of the motor home and the collision knocked him onto his ass.  Then he bends down and shows me his head.  There's an egg forming on the top... Awww..... I kiss my hand and gently pat the egg.

This is not the first time Eric hit his head on a slide.  Most often, he ends up with a cut on his head.  I want to put tennis balls on the ends of the slides and swimmy tubes along the bottom edges of the slides.

We haven't done this, so far..... I think I should invest in soft things that make collisions less jarring.

4 comments:

AlexE said...

"...I think I should invest in soft things that make collisions less jarring."

That would be a HELMET. See how that flies with Eric. ;-)

This sounds like the similar affliction of repeatedly walking into a trailer hitch or drawbar you know darn well is there as you walk around the back of the tow vehicle, but it's not at eye level so you forget it and... DOH!

Ginny said...

Alex, you're funny. I dreamt last night that I took Eric helmet shopping.... It was a day long process and I wasn't sure if he'd wear it after I bought it.

We used to cover the hitch with a plastic grocery bag when not towing the trailer... After Eric and I repeatedly walked into it and covered our jeans with streaks of black grease.

Live and learn.... Or life is messy and full of injuries.

Pat said...

We had the same problem. Those swimming noodles are fine because you can cut them up and make good corners. We used them all the time after Mike had several accidents.

Ginny said...

Thanks Pat. I'll bring this up with Eric.... Swimming noodles or a helmet, his choice.