Total Pageviews

Friday, September 28, 2012

Lava River Cave Near La Pine, OR

Eric & I went to Deschutes National Forest in Central Oregon to visit the Lava River Cave.  This "cave" is a lava tube about a mile long.  Aside from stairs, it is in its natural state.  There's no lighting in the cave.  Visitors rent a lantern for $5.00, as we did or they  ring flashlights.

The fee is $5.00 per car, which we didn't pay because we have the National Parks & Federal Recreation Lands Pass.  We did rent a Coleman Lantern for $5.00.

I think Eric & I expected the Lava River Cave to be like Howe Cavern in Schoharie County, New York.   There's no electric lighting, no boat ride.  No elevators and no group photos taken for purchase after seeing the cave. 

Eric & I walked down 150 stairs to the floor of the cave.  I walked behind Eric & found that I spent most of my time looking at the ground in front of me.  There are large stones in the middle of the path through the cave, short and not so short drop offs to be negotiated.






Follow the signs...




Eric @ the mouth of the cave
 WARNING: Many of the following photos are DARK.

Rock formation
You can see my breath.... 42 degrees down here
Watch your head, Eric

The side of the lava tube
Watch your head!






Stay away!  The bats are sleeping!






Heading back toward the light

We had a great time!

No comments: