Total Pageviews

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Ginny Behind the Wheel

Our motor home is 8.5 feet wide and 40 feet long.  Including the rear view mirrors, the rig is 10 feet wide.  We are towing a Jeep Wrangler.  Overall length is about 55 feet.  I know that the standard width of a highway lane is 12 feet.


Eric taught me to pick a line and stick with it.  When driving, I "hug the left line" of the lane I am in.  I can check my placement in the lane by checking my lower rear view mirrors. 

Driving curves and ramps is also about picking the line and sticking with it.  I stay on the outside line of curves, and ramps.  To slow down for ramps and some tighter curves, I use the exhaust brake. 

Lane changes:  Don't jerk the wheel!  Lane changes are made by signalling and then gently "drifting" into the other lane.  When I pass a vehicle, I pull ahead further than is needed, signal and return to the right lane. 

Hills and mountains:  Uphill, I move into the slow lane, if an extra lane is provided.  I'm careful about moving left when the slow lane ends.  Downhill braking on steep grades requires the use of the exhaust brake.  I got plenty of practice with the exhaust brake in Northern Maryland and West Virginia. 

Turns:  The front tires are under the driver's seat.  When making turns, I pull out farther than I would if I was driving a car.  Then I pull out a little farther before starting the turn.   My goal when taking turns is to avoid scratching the side of the motor home on signs.  When we were in Ohio I made my first U Turn.  That is a VERY slow turn. 

Driving the motor home provides Eric a break when we are driving long distances.  Our retirement is our adventure and I like fully participating. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Looking Good Girl.I knew you could do it! Love your Blog!