Total Pageviews

Saturday, February 14, 2015

Insulators on Telephone Poles... Where Have I Taken a Picture of That?

I take a lot of photos while Eric drives.  After I catch sight of something "unusual," I look for repeating occurrences.

It had been years since I had seen a glass insulator on a telephone pole in upstate New York. When I spotted phone poles with glass insulators, I just had to take a picture.





I remember taking this picture
in western Alaska in June, 2014.

The clear glass insulators
caught my eye.





Another picture taken in
Alaska in June, 2014.

The insulators are ceramic.





Rural Wisconsin...
August, 2014

I think the dark protrusions
are insulators.







Suburban Wisconsin...
August, 2014

I wonder if any of the gadgets
on the left hand pole
are insulators.







Rural Virginia in
December, 2014

A telephone pole with
ceramic insulators






VERY rural Virginia
in December, 2014

It looks like there is one
phone line & one power
 line.




Rural North Carolina
in December, 2014

There are insulators on
the arms of the pole.

I think the cylindrical device
further down the pole
is a transformer.






I wonder how much longer telephone  poles will be identifiable by glass or ceramic insulators.  According to a July 8, 2014 Chicago Tribune article, forty percent of telephone customers have given up their landlines.  (My estimate was that the percentage of "unplugged" cell phone users was higher.... sixty percent, or even more.)

Glass insulators on telephone poles may be a rare siting, but the telephone pole with ceramic insulators will be seen across the United States for years to come.

No comments: