Total Pageviews

Monday, October 2, 2023

A Morning Walk on the Malpais Trail @ Valley of Fires in Carrizozo, New Mexico






Morning is a great time to walk







Little Black Peak erupted approximately 5,000 years ago and Lava flowed 44 miles into the northern end of the Tularosa Basin.  Visitors walk this trail into the Lava Flow.



The 1.1-mile-long loop trail 
has a gentle slope.

I see campsites in the
distance



                                   Sotol Stalks reach for the sky between the folds of Lava.

This is the biggest difference I noticed between Eric's and my April 2019 visit and today.  






Ridges of Lava next to
the trail.









Rippling contours of 
the Lava Flow 





I stepped off the trail to
walk on the Lava, as the
nearby sign recommends.















There are small caves in
the Lava Field.

I wonder what creatures
live in them.









There's our motorhome, near
the trailhead.





No comments: