Total Pageviews

Thursday, December 27, 2012

San Jose de los Remates, Nicaragua

Our friend, Emma, grew up in this village in the mountains.
She and Julian are building a home here.

 





The Church of San Jose
is in the center of the village.













The park is across
 from the church.














I met a grandmother and
her grandchildren enjoying
the park. 







Mountains surround
the village.












There are little stores
in the village.















I like this purple house
with the tile work.










This is where the bull riding
competitions are held.






The Recreation Center
is under construction.

It reminds me
of a boat.







The Stadium is next to
the Recreation Center. 











The Water Treatment
Plant









This house has the
traditional clay tile roof.











Some streets
are unpaved.









I liked this bright yellow house
with palms and shrubbery.











Another street, another
 mountain view.











Flowers grace 
many homes.



 























We visited Emma and Julian on Christmas Day.


 







Mass at the Church 
of San Jose














I followed the sound
 of music to this house.






The band was playing in a
very tight space between
the house and the plantings
at the front of the house.






Residents were dancing
in the street.










I think the lady on the left was 
taking a picture of the gringa (me).  

The man in long sleeves danced 
every dance, with everyone.






Between songs firecrackers were set off.  Everyone was having a great time.  
A woman grabbed my wrist and showed me a basic dance step.  It was great fun!

1 comment:

Dave'n'Kathy Vagabond Blog said...

Hilarious that photo of the inconspicuous photographer. No doubt she was. Why couldn't she simply come up to you and motion that she'd like to take a photo? I've always maintained that many photographers like her really don't empathize with their subjects - they seem them as objects of curiosity only. It was tempting to fall into that in China. The only photos I took of people were with their permission or where we were sharing something (as you did with the band, dancing, etc.)