Total Pageviews

Monday, August 17, 2015

Visiting My Cousin Liz & Her Family in Buffalo, New York

My mother's family, the Quennevilles, is a large, sprawling French family that has been in Canada since the 1670s, before coming south to the United States.  Today, Eric and I are visiting my cousin, Liz, in Buffalo.

Me, Jerry & Liz, my second cousin

We had a great visit!  Pictures came out....  Stories were shared.  I learned more about the New York State Capitol rehabilitation project that occurred in the late 1940s.  Liz's grandfather, my Uncle Val, told stories about the carpentry projects he worked on in that beautiful building.

Liz and I did struggle with repeating names.  Three Ginnys were born between 1936 and 1956.  Alfred is a very common name, that spans five generations to my maternal great grandfather, Alphonse Grenier (early 1800s).  Liz and Jerry's ten year old daughter, Emma sat and listened for a bit.  The conversation became hard for her to follow.

Identifying family members also needed more descriptions.  Liz's grandparents are my aunt and uncle.  Her great grandparents are my grandparents, etc.  We decided that we needed a chart with pictures to help us identify who we are talking about.  Liz and I shared a lot about our family in just a few hours.

Thank you Liz, Jerry and Emma for the visit.  I'll call the next time Eric and I are in Buffalo.

No comments: