Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 18, 2022

Hot Rides On The River Show @ Martinez Lake, AZ: The Customized 1953 Studebaker Commander

I found a gem at the Hot Rides on the River Show...  After you read through this post, tell me if it's unique or a tarnished gem.

I spent a long time walking around the 1953 Studebaker Commander and examining its features.





My first impression is that
the car is sleek looking,
unlike the familiar rounded
edges that are Studebaker's
signature look.
.







It has a V8 engine.

Look closely at the
chevron  above 
the license plate.









Its hood is long...
like other 1950s
cars.



















The top has been replaced, with
a smaller rear window.

The fins are the second custom
feature.





I have another surprise.  I thought tail fins on cars were introduced in 1957.  Wrong!  Cadillac introduced the tail fin on the 1948 Cadillac 62 Coupe deVille.






I think the rear end with the
external tire is classy.




If not for the trunk, this car
reminds me of a late 1950s






While looking for 1953 Studebaker Commander specifications I found out that the rear end is the second customized feature on the car.  

Thanks to the internet, I learned about Continental Kits.  This type of rear-end adds the tire on a base that can be customized to specific types of cars.  

This is a photo of a stock 1953 Studebaker
Commander.

I'm glad that I have a stock photo to make comparisons with the car on display here.

No comments: